Wednesday, October 14, 2009

What part of rated 'R' did you not get?

The Film: Zombieland
The Talent: Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg, Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin
The Dealio:So, OK, I know you all read my rantique about people bringing young'uns into age-inappropriate movies. So, you gotta know I was doing a slow boil when people began to arrive with under 4 kiddage. Quick review, folks: the movie is called Zombieland; it is rated 'R'; children, even the under 4 set, have great imaginations. What am I, talkin' to myself over here?
Whew! Much better now.
Prendie kept checking for a 'stem' at the back of my neck to see if a pod person (or, a zombie? BWAAAHAHAHAHA!) had taken over my earthly shell. I am the most chicken movie-goer ever. Granted. I'll give you that. But something about this one seemed to call out to me.So, I went to see it by myself and I loved it- especially an unforeseeable cameo (don't worry, I won't spoil the surprise for you). Is it violent? Is it gory? Well, duh! (remind me: what's the name of this film, again? Yeah). Is it smart and funny as well? You know it is! I was especially taken with some of the zombi-fied people; esp the stripper. She doesn't want your money, honey, I'll tell you that for nothing. I adored Columbus' top rules for survival in a zombie-prevalent world. Just exactly the type of thing I would do. When in doubt, start by setting up guidelines. Or am I wrong? Of course, I did get a little tired of the repeated car thefts by 1/2 of the 'team', but that's a minor thing to me. And I refuse to split hairs. Or skulls, even.
The Grading Session: 4 stars out of 5. Everyone, say this together (my mantra desu): "The difference between a good film and a great film is a wizard editor." With exactly the right amount of editing, this one would slide into immediate cult status...and may do so even without it.
Lessons Learned: 1) Never, ever imitate a zombie (if you aren't), 2) Do not underestimate the power of cardio in the post apocalyptic world, 3) Zombies do not speak...important safety tip here, 4) Twinkies actually DO have an expiration date.

No comments:

Post a Comment