Saturday, August 28, 2010

Scott Pilgrim Versus The World

The Flick: Scott Pilgrim Versus The World

The Actors: Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Keiran Culkin, Anna Kendrick, Chris Evans, Brandon Routh, Jason Schwartzman, etc.

The Dealio: Scott is forced to battle the seven evil exes of his would-be new love interest, Ramona Flowers (Winstead) in a cinematic hybrid of video game/anime style fights and set ups, sometimes aided/hindered by his roomie, a bored, detached Wallace, who always seems to have more important fish to fry. Along for the ride, and totally oblivious to the danger swirling around Scott- or the temporary nature of his interest in her, (seeming to echo Wallace's inertia about the whole Scott predicament), is the chillingly named (though oblivious Scott doesn't pick up on this until far too late in the game), Knives Chau...AKA 'The High School Girl'.

The Grading Session: 3.28 pengies out of 5. I am sorry. I so wanted to lovelovelove this quirky little film. But, seemed to me, everyone involved in it was already so impressed with themselves, and how clever they were being that it soon simply annoyed me. I could almost picture all the moving part-ners watching rushes and high-fiving themselves over their sly cleverness. You want a film that actually was slyly clever? Fantastic Mr. Fox, for one!
Plus, I can see absolutely no earthly reason why this film had to be so long. Editing. I've said it before and I will say it again: film-makers, notte bene: get the best editor money can buy. Then listen to her or him. I am saving lives here.

Lessons Learned: Apparently, one can get stuff delivered by Amazon.com, like, overnight? I mean, I have heard rumors of such things....Meanwhile, Prendie is still waiting for his two cans of rhubarb pie filling to be delivered in the blood-oath sworn '3-5 business days.' Sigh.
Also-I totally under-estimated this whole Vegan super power thing. My bad. But, on the positive side, I am always open to learning- even from movies like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment